Recipe developed by Lauren Sephton (@brightmomentco)
Welcome back to the Fancy Fork! Your seasonal produce insight and farm-style recipes that are made to satisfy.
The month of November is an exciting time because the holidays and all the joy they encompass has officially arrived! All of Grandma’s nostalgic baked goods, your mom’s iconic holiday appetizers, everything warm and cozy. The holidays bring about some of the best recipes!
Now that the weather is chillier, you’ll find hearty vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, eggplant, hearty greens, onions, parsnips, potatoes, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, turnips and winter squashes in abundance. In the fruit aisle, you’ll find stone fruits like persimmons and pomegranates, as well as bananas, pears, cranberries, dates, kiwi and clementines.
This month’s recipe will be highlighting the powerful health benefits of carrots, and they’re ability to boost your immune system this winter season. Carrots have been studied to promote healthy vision, balance your blood sugar, balance your hormones, may lower risk of certain cancers, help with blood pressure regulation, boost brain health and may reduce risk of heart disease. In addition, the vitamin C in carrots helps your body build antibodies that defend your immune system. This vitamin C also helps your body take in and use iron more effectively to prevent infections.
Roasted Carrot & Tomato Soup (Immune Boosting)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 4 large Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 large Carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil (or other herbs like oregano, rosemary and thyme)
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock or Bone Broth
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 head of Garlic, slice the very top off to reveal garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, carrots, onion, head of garlic and fresh basil to the prepared pan.
- Season the vegetables with salt and black pepper. Drizzle generously with the olive oil. Toss all vegetables together until coated in the olive oil.
- Roast for 25-35 minutes, until tomatoes are juicy and carrots are fork tender.
- When cool enough to touch, squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a food processor.
- Transfer the remaining roasted vegetables to the food processor with the broth, milk and heavy cream. (You may have to work in batches.)
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- If needed, reheat on the stovetop to desired warmth. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with grilled cheese sandwiches. Add a drizzle of olive oil and heavy cream for garnishing. Enjoy!