BY @BRIGHTMOMENTCO/LAUREN SEPHTON
These oven-baked chicken taquitos are crunchy on the outside, cheesy-tender chicken goodness on the inside and very simple to make!
As we approach the peak of summer produce, the racks at our local farmers markets are bursting with fresh berries like blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. But, also keep an eye out for other seasonal produce such as okra, peaches, corn, cantaloupe, cucumbers, green beans, kiwi, swiss chard, lettuce, summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes and our favorite, watermelon!
And while these chicken taquitos are as simple as it comes to a quick and easy meal, there are a few ways to spice them up using the seasonal ingredients highlighted above. For instance, grilled corn on the cob is a delicious and quick side dish. Fresh corn is rich in Vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps protect your cells from damage and may help fight off diseases like cancer. Grilled zucchini is another tasty side dish that may improve heart health and overall digestive health. Lastly, serving these taquitos with a homemade mango salsa adds phenomenal citrus flavors! Mangoes are rich in protective antioxidants as well as may help maintain healthy skin and hair.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken, cooked, shredded (see above for oven baked chicken recipe)
- 8 tortillas
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- cilantro, for serving
- salsa, for serving
- lime wedges, for serving
- grilled corn, for serving
- guacamole and chips (optional)
- shredded lettuce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly grease a baking tray with olive oil or line with parchment paper.
- Heat up the tortillas on a griddle until soft.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cooked and shredded chicken, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ground cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and black pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add a generous amount of the shredded chicken and shredded Mexican cheese into the center of each tortilla. Wrap up like a burrito and place seam-side down in the prepared baking pan. If possible, space the tortillas out so there is 1/2″ between each (to make them crispy all around).
- Brush with the remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with guacamole and salsa on a bed of lettuce. Enjoy warm!
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and enjoy the seasonal delights of summer!