Looking for a quick and easy breakfast recipe? These healthier Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are made with Greek yogurt and olive oil for a fluffy, light, and perfect on-the-go breakfast!
American-grown lemons are pretty much available year-round; however, the peak season for the Meyer Lemon runs from November to April. Meyer Lemons have a thin, soft skin that is entirely edible and can make a great addition to roasted vegetables and meats. They are naturally more sweet than sour, making wonderful homemade lemonades!
Did you know that most of the phytonutrient content from citrus fruits is stored in the white pith of the peel? So, before you toss out the peels, try zesting or grating them to use in salad dressings, baked goods, and marinades, to unlock the potent antioxidants. Plus, Meyer Lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C, which helps to keep our immune systems in excellent shape, assists in the creation and breakdown of amino acids necessary for building proteins, aids in the breaking down of dietary fats, for storage and energy production, and much more!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 25 min
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1¾ cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Zest (about 2-3 lemons)
- 2 Tbsp. Poppy Seeds
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- ⅓ cup Meyer Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed (about 2-3 lemons)
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil, or melted butter
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 400ᵒ F. Line a muffin pan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt).
- Whisk together all the wet ingredients (Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, eggs, vanilla).
- Fold the poppy seeds and lemon zest into the Greek yogurt mixture.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the Greek yogurt mixture and mix until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each ¾th of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- (Optional) Drizzle each with a lemon glaze (You can eye this recipe by using 1 cup powdered sugar, ⅓ tsp. lemon juice, and 1 tsp. lemon zest).