With 2022 officially up and running, those “new habits” everyone vowed to establish are either in full swing or struggling a bit! But one resolution you should work hard to keep—and hopefully make a lifelong commitment to—is a dedication to good oral health.
At Vivid Dental in Winston-Salem, individualized care for every family member—both children and adults—is a daily promise, and that includes preventative care that can truly lessen the possibility of tooth and gum disease down the road.
“While most of the bacteria in your mouth is harmless—the mouth is also the gateway to both your digestive and respiratory tracts,” explains Beth Jordan, office manager of Vivid Dental Winston. Besides leading to tooth decay and gum disease, bacteria in the mouth can also be pulled into your lungs—causing or exacerbating pneumonia and other respiratory ailments. It can also be just the start of more serious problems, such as stroke and heart disease. Both are linked to inflammation and infections—two events specifically triggered by the presence of oral bacteria. Periodontitis—gum disease with loss of bone and gum tissue –has also been linked to premature birth and low birth weight in babies.
So, that daily task of gently reminding your kids to brush and floss needs to be a wake-up call for the grown-ups, too! Taking care of both your teeth and gums is a valuable investment in your overall health and can definitely impact your quality of life. Another tip: Certain medications which reduce saliva flow can also impact your oral health, as they keep saliva from washing away food and neutralizing acids in the mouth.
Proper oral hygiene can easily be a family affair, and there’s no better way than being a good role model with your own daily routine!
The Gentle Reminders Everyone Needs
- Brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each time, using a good brush and a quality toothpaste that contains fluoride. Set a timer if it helps—even for the adults!
- Floss your own teeth daily and make it an activity you can do with your kids—with kid-friendly floss and toothbrush, of course, that they pick out themselves. Make it a contest with a small (non-sugary!) reward.
- Add mouthwash as part of your daily routine, to remove food particles that remain, even after brushing and flossing.
- Make a healthy diet your goal, which naturally means limiting sugary foods and beverages—that same advice you give your kids.
- Replace your toothbrush every three or four months—or sooner if the bristles become frayed. Mark a date on your family calendar to check everyone’s brush on the same night.
- Maintain a schedule of regular cleanings and dental checkups for the entire family—starting with yourself!
Besides the absolute best care for your entire family and guidance in maintaining a healthy smile for life, Vivid Dental also offers the convenience of same-day crowns, Invisalign treatment, and the ability to accept VA benefits for veterans. Plus, the practice’s state-of-the-art dental filtration system, introduced by their own Dr. Justin Roberts, means patients are breathing the cleanest air possible! Vivid Dental Winston-Salem is located at 755 Highland Oaks Drive, Suite 106, in Winston-Salem, with additional offices in High Point, Greensboro, and Raleigh. Office hours are Monday through Thursday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m.-1 p.m. For more information, or to schedule an appointment, call 336-774-1771 or e-mail email@example.com.