Getting to know your entire family has always been a priority for the talented doctors and professional staff at Vivid Dental Winston-Salem. Now, as those all-important first days of school photos near, aren’t we all slightly focused on seeing some beautiful smiles?
Just as your children and teens grow and change with the start of each new school year, so do their teeth and gums! Keeping a strict routine of regular check-ups and cleanings every six months is an excellent start to good overall dental health (call to schedule now!), and your best defense at preventing problems from emerging later on, as well.
Under the guidance of Dr. Tsua Lor and Dr. Justin Roberts, the Vivid Dental staff feels the excitement of a new school year, too, and Beth Jordan, Vivid Dental Office Manager, shares with us some helpful hints to ease the school routine back into place!
* Sometimes getting back into a more regimented morning and bedtime schedule means oral health might get neglected. But if you line up some clever reminders and plan ahead, those bright smiles will take center stage again. Strive for consistency with brushing and flossing routines—for the entire family—including a set time. (It’s a team effort, right?)
* Let your kids choose their own toothbrushes and toothpaste—even your teenagers—and start the year with all-new essentials for everybody. Assign everyone a spot in the bathroom, so there’s no searching for toothbrushes when bedtime rolls around and mark your family calendar to replace those brushes every three or four months.
* Be sure to put brand new water bottles for the entire family on your back-to-school shopping list, so your kids will head to class with cold water in their bottles, in lieu of seeking out juice and other sugary drinks.
* Recruit those older siblings to help on the brushing and flossing front—and remind them the goal is twice a day for at least two minutes each time. They can be great role models and take some of the nagging off mom and dad.
* It’s okay to reward good oral hygiene—especially for younger kids. After all, these are habits that should feel natural for the rest of their lives, so a little positive reinforcement can work wonders. Remember you are building a lifelong commitment!
* If your son or daughter is new to a sport this school year, invest in a good mouth guard—enough said!
* There are good reminders for parents, too. Think about those bright smiles when you’re packing school snacks and lunches: milk, cheese, veggies, and fruit are ideal options, over candies and other sugar-filled desserts.
Always geared towards the family experience, the staff of Vivid Dental Winston-Salem is dedicated to every patient with a sense of respect and compassion, and their enthusiasm for patient care is unmatched! Vivid Dental also offers flexible payment options, including an in-house membership. Call their office today to schedule your family’s back-to-school checkups at 336-774-1771, or visit online at VividDental.com. The office is located at 755 Highland Oaks Drive, Suite 106, in Winston-Salem, with hours Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., and Fridays 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.