Welcome back to the Fancy Fork! Your seasonal produce insight and farm-style recipes that are made to satisfy.
This (Easy) Parmesan Fried Chicken Sandwich with a Creamy Basil Aioli and Crunchy Apple Slaw is about to be your new favorite end-of-summer recipe! The parmesan fried chicken is crispy, flaky and tender on the inside. The basil aioli is creamy and has a nice bite with the fresh garlic; while the slaw has that perfect crunchy, sweet complement from the fresh apples.
And, while the farmers markets may still be bursting with summer colors, we’re focusing on the health benefits behind the purple cabbage in today’s apple slaw. Did you know that purple cabbage is incredibly rich in nutrients, is a good source of fiber and has vitamins A, C, K and B6? In fact, studies show that purple cabbage is one of the foods that offers the highest levels of antioxidants per serving, including being 4.5 times higher antioxidant levels than those found in green cabbage varieties. The health benefits list could go on!
Other seasonal produce to keep an eye out for this month are beets, bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, carrots, collard greens, cucumbers, eggplant, kale, green beans, swiss chard, potatoes, kale, spinach and now, winter squash varieties. Don’t forget to make all your favorite summer fruit recipes using those glorious heirloom tomatoes, melons, figs, apples, pears, tomatoes, pomegranates and raspberries before they are gone!
Parmesan Fried Chicken Sandwiches with Basil Aioli
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
For the Basil Aioli:
- ¾ cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup Mayo
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cup Fresh Basil
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp. Salt
For the Apple Slaw:
- ¼ Red Cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 Large Carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 Honeycrisp Apple, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- ½ cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 T EACH: Dijon Mustard & Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ tsp. EACH: Salt & Black Pepper
For the Parmesan Fried Chicken:
- 4-5 Burger Buns
- 2 T Butter or Olive Oil
- 1 – 1 ½ lb. Chicken Breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 ½ cup Buttermilk
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 1 tsp EACH: Salt, Black Pepper, Dried Italian Herbs (or Dried Oregano)
- 3-4 cups Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil, for frying
- To Prep the Chicken: If necessary, slice the chicken breasts into 4-6 pieces. Place in a Ziploc bag to lightly pound with a kitchen mallet to tenderize. Add the buttermilk and seal the bag tightly to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
- To Make the Basil Aioli: Combine all ingredients into a food processor. Add ¼ cup water and pulse until smooth. Add more lemon juice and/or water to desired thickness.
- To Make the Apple Slaw: In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, Dijon, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Add the thinly sliced produce and toss until well coated in the sauce. Adjust to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To Make the Fried Chicken: Add the frying oil to a large saucepan over medium high heat. Using a kitchen thermometer, bring the oil to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, grated parmesan and seasonings. Mix until well combined. Dredge the buttermilk chicken breasts through the flour mix and carefully place into the hot oil.
- Working in batches of 2-3 pieces, fry for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire baking rack or paper-towel lined plate to drain excess oils (and keep crispy). The internal temperature should reach 170F when fully cooked.
- To Assemble: Grease a skillet or griddle with the butter, then add the burger buns face-side down to toast 2-3 minutes. Layer the toasted buns with the basil aioli, fried chicken and apple slaw to enjoy immediately!