This chicken dish has a crispy skin, incredible flavor, and is oh, so juicy! With a few extra minutes and simple ingredients, let’s take your iconic roasted chicken to the next level!
December is the month for a variety of Mandarin oranges, from satsumas to clementines, that can make a Vitamin-C packed naturally sweet snack! You may also start noticing Buddha Hands and Meyer Lemons in the grocery aisles that can be zested to add great flavor depth to many dishes. Other seasonal produce includes kiwifruit, wild mushrooms, beets, winter squashes, collard greens, kale, kohlrabi, Brussels sprouts, chestnuts, cauliflower, and more. From lemon chicken soups to tangerine sorbets to wild mushroom lasagnas, the winter season and its comfort foods are upon us!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 4 lb. Chicken, giblets + neck removed from cavity
- ¼ cup Melted Butter
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Oregano (or 1 Tbsp. Dried Oregano)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Lemon, for stuffing
- 1 Garlic Head, for stuffing
- (Optional) Carrots
- (Optional) Baby Potatoes
- Preheat oven to “Conventional Roast” (430ᵒ F).
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, black pepper, chopped parsley and oregano, minced garlic, and fresh rosemary. Mix together.
- Place the chicken in a large casserole dish.
- Generously season the chicken with salt (for an extra crispy skin).
- Brush half of the mixture generously over both sides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken breast side up.
- Slice the top portion off the garlic head to reveal the cloves inside. Stuff with the sliced half lemon into the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- (Optional) Add the carrots and potatoes around the chicken. Brush with the extra sauce.
- Brush the remaining sauce mixture evenly over the breast side of the chicken.
- Roast for 1 hour 20 minutes, basting halfway, or until juices run clear when pierced with skewer or knife.
- Baste again after roasting, then broil for 3-5 minutes, until golden on top.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and micro greens before enjoying warm!