Salted caramel, melted chocolate, a gooey cookie and flakes of coconut. The flavor profile of this cookie is amazing! Eat them fresh out of the oven and they are sure to knock your socks off.
6 ounces sweetened coconut flakes, divided
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
4 ounces caramel candy
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
½ cup chocolate ganache, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add 3 ounces coconut flakes to the prepared baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes, or until golden and fragrant.
- Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the toasted coconut to a food processor and process until broken down into fine crumbs.
- Add the flour and salt, process until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until fully combined and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the egg and beat to incorporate.
- Fold in the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until no dry spots remain.
- Divide the dough into 18 equally sized balls and arrange 9 on each baking sheet. Using the bottom of a wooden spoon, spoke a hole in the center of each dough ball. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Using the remaining 3 ounces of coconut, rolled the chilled dough balls into the coconut flakes to coat the outside. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes or until set. Let cool completely.
- In a small pot over low heat, combine the caramel candies and heavy cream. Cook, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Fill the centers of each cookie with the caramel mixture and top with a drizzle of melted chocolate over the cookies. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.