Welcome back to the Fancy Fork! The place to go to know what produce is in season, armed with a recipe using one or more of those seasonal delights.
Now, let me put you on to the pasta sauce of the season. This Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce pairs beautifully with more than just pasta, including gnocchi, stuffed zucchini boats, savory toasts and even as a homemade pizza sauce!
Did you know that red bell peppers can contain more than 200% of your daily vitamin C intake? They are a great source of vitamin B6, folate and are packed with antioxidants. They have also been known to support healthy night vision. Not to mention, they add subtle flavor to just about any savory dish and make a tasty midday snack with hummus, tzatziki or cream cheese mixed with everything bagel seasoning.
Other seasonal produce includes apples, avocado, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, figs, peaches, plums, tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, eggplant, summer squash, swiss chard, carrots, celery and corn.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, sliced into thick pieces
- 1/2 Sweet Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Handful of Fresh Basil
- (optional) Juice & Zest of 1 Lemon
- (optional) Heavy Cream, for a creamier pasta sauce
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill or oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the garlic cloves, sweet onion and bell pepper with one tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast for 10 minutes or grill until all sides are slightly charcoaled.
- Add all ingredients, including olive oil, to a high-speed blender. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Adjust taste with salt and black pepper.
- TIPS: You can also add a little heavy cream for a creamier sauce or a little reserved pasta water to thin out the sauce.
Now that you’ve mastered the art of red bell peppers, it’s time to grab your fork and enjoy the endless possibilities of the summer season delights!