The spring season is in full blossom with all its shining sunshine glory and abundant produce! From our favorite berries to serve with homemade tarts and pancakes to light spring mix salads, the flavor combinations will be endless this season.
What’s in season this April? There’s quite a list, so grab your pencil and paper! We have apples, kiwi, lemons, limes, mango, pears, pineapples, avocados, strawberries, rutabagas, citrus fruits, blueberries and bananas. For our vegetables, we have bok choy, carrots, cauliflower, celery, potatoes, peas, parsnips, mushrooms and most lettuce greens!
Now, you may be wondering, what’s so special about mushrooms? Well, studies show they may help decrease the risk of cancer, promote lower cholesterol, protect brain health, provide a great source of Vitamin D, support a healthy immune system and stimulate a healthier gut. Wow! A mouthful, am I right? Mushrooms are not only a great addition to pastas and soups but can be served on their own like these crispy mushroom fries. as well.
For the Mushroom Fries:
- 5 portobello mushrooms, or 1 lb. oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 T Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- frying oil
For the Zesty Lemon Tahini Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- salt & black pepper, to taste
- water, to thin out to preference
- Heat up your neutral frying oil in a pot over medium high heat to 350 degrees F. You will want at least two inches in depth.
- To batter up your mushrooms, set up a station with three large bowls. In one bowl, add the flour and salt. In the second bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. In the third bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and herbs together.
- Slice or pull apart your mushrooms to fry-sized pieces. Dredge in the flour mix, then eggs, then breadcrumbs.
- Working in small batches, place the battered fries in the oil to fry 1-2 minutes on each side. Until golden brown and crispy. Remove with slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oils. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- To make the dipping sauce, simply combine all ingredients.
- Serve warm with the dipping sauce to enjoy!
To Make in the Conventional Oven:
- Bake at 425 degrees F on a parchment paper lined sheet pan for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and crispy.
- Tip: Spray or drizzle in olive oil for extra crispiness.