Here are simple recipes to make with the kids that will warm their little hearts on Valentine’s Day, and any day! We have you covered from breakfast to dessert with these heart-shaped and heart-filled cinnamon rolls, fruit pops and peanut butter fudge, all made with love.
Cinnamon Roll Hearts
1 Tube (13 oz.) Pillsbury flaky cinnamon roll with cream cheese icing
1 drop red or pink food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare baking sheet or round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Carefully unroll each cinnamon roll into a long strip of dough, leaving one end still tightly rolled. Roll the other end of each strip toward the center, making equal curls on each end toward the center. Bring the two rolled ends toward each other and pinch the middle, making the “point” of the heart.
- Place on baking sheet and bake according to package directions until golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool. Stir one drop of red or pink food coloring into the frosting and frost cooled cinnamon rolls. Top with sprinkles if desired. Note: You can also zig-zag the frosting if you’d like more of the cinnamon roll “curls” of the heart to show through.
Healthy Heart Kabobs
More of an assembly than a recipe, but a very cute, colorful and healthy one kids love!
Watermelon, sliced 1-inch thick
Cantaloupe, sliced 1-inch thick
Honeydew melon, sliced 1-inch thick
Pineapple, fresh, sliced 1-inch thick
Blueberries or grapes
Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Break out that heart-shaped cookie cutter and make hearts out of the melons and pineapple.
- Slide a blueberry or grape onto a skewer, followed by a pineapple heart, then blueberry or grape, then watermelon heart, then blueberry or grape then cantaloupe heart and top with a blueberry or grape.
- Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
Note: Watch the little ones to be sure they don’t poke themselves with the skewer.
Healthy Peanut Butter Fudge Hearts
½ cup Coconut oil
½ cup Peanut butter
¼ cup Honey
½ cup Chocolate chips (optional)
Silicone hearts mold (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil in microwave in 30 second increments.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between.
- Pour chocolate to lightly coat each heart mold.
- Blend the remainder of the ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon into heart molds.
- Freeze about 30 minutes, or until hardened.
Pop out of molds and serve.