During the month of May, you may notice Spring in full blossom with vibrant flowers around every neighborhood corner and abundant produce aisles. You may notice the rich harvest colors, as the fruits and vegetables reach their peak freshness this month, like homegrown heirloom tomatoes and cherries. The list continues with spring lettuce, artichokes, mangoes, okra, radishes, rhubarb, Swiss chard, and zucchini. However, this month, we are focusing on the natural beauty of fresh spring herbs.
Half a cup of fresh parsley, a flowering plant that is native to Mediterranean cultures, provides 108% of the Reference Daily Intake of Vitamin A, 53% of Vitamin C, 547% of Vitamin K, 11% of Folate, and 4% of Potassium. Low in calories, rich in antioxidants, supporting bone health and full of flavor, parsley makes a great addition to just about any savory recipe! Then, you have the more aromatic thyme that provides robust flavor that is lightly sweet, very earthy, and slightly minty. Studies have shown thyme to lower blood pressure and boost immunity, since it’s packed with vitamin C, and might even have a positive effect on your mood!
Mediterranean Feta & Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- 2 lbs. Yukon baby potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 7- 8 oz. feta cheese, chopped into small pieces
- ½ red onion, finely minced
- 1 lemon, zest and juiced
- 2 Tbsp. thyme leaves
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the Yukon baby potatoes into halves or quarters, then transfer to a large bowl. Add in the extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt. Toss together until evenly combined.
- Spread the potatoes evenly onto the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, then flip to bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- In the meantime, toss together the remaining ingredients (chopped feta cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped red onion, thyme leaves, chopped parsley, salt, and black pepper).
- Add the crispy potatoes into the feta mixture, then toss to combine. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Now that you’ve mastered the art of fresh herbs, it’s time to grab your fork and enjoy the blossoming Spring season delights!