BY: YMCA of Northwest North Carolina
As we welcome the new year, let’s make sure that our resolutions not only focus on doing better for ourselves and our communities, but for our families, as well. There are so many engaging programs and opportunities at the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina for the whole family to take part in at any time of the year!
So, what are some of the great things you can do as a family at the Y in 2022?
- Joining the Y if you have not already should be your first move! There are plenty of programs and events at the Y that you can participate in without a membership, but a membership will give you discounts on sports, swimming, camp and more! Plus, if you join in the month of January, you can sign up with no joining fee!
- Learning how to swim is an essential part of growing up, and it’s an important skill that everyone should have to keep themselves and others safe around water. The Y offers swim lessons for members of all ages throughout the year. And, thanks to donors and grant funding, the Y offers Safety Around Water, which is a free community initiative that teaches kids who may not have access to water or swim lessons the essentials they need to stay safe in and around water.
- Another activity that’s an essential part of growing up is going to summer camp! The Y has several options for campers and their families each summer to help them get the best experience possible. YMCA Camp Hanes in King, NC offers Day Camp and Overnight Camp options, and most YMCA branches offer Summer Exploration Academy at the Y during the summer months.
- Sports at the Y are great for introducing kids to the fundamentals of the game, but also learning that good sportsmanship and respect are just as essential. And, you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy sports leagues at the Y! Adult sports are returning to the Y so that everyone can take part in the sports they love at the Y.
- Group exercise classes are a great way to focus on your health, meet new friends and find the workout routine that works best for you! Y members have access to all group exercise classes not only at their home Y, but at other nearby Ys, as well. Find your next class at ymcanwnc.org or on our mobile app.
- If you want to take your fitness goals to the next level, the Y has a variety of options for you! Between personal training, boot camps and more, you can explore new workouts with the assistance of our knowledgeable Y staff guiding you along the way.
- While you’re exploring all these new fitness options, you’ll know that your kids are being looked after in a safe environment. Kids Zone is a free childcare service for our members that is available at most of our locations. Kids ages 6 months old through 11 years old are welcome in Kids Zone!
- Now that your family is a part of the Y, be a part of some of our biggest events: races! Our annual races are great ways to not only spend time with family and friends while giving back to the community at the same time. The Annual YMCA Mistletoe Half Marathon, 5K and 1-mile Fun Run is one of the biggest holiday races in Winston-Salem! For nearly 40 years, this event has raised funds for programs at the Y that benefit children in our communities. Join us at the starting line on the first Saturday of December! The Dirty Dozen 5K Obstacle Mud Run in Clemmons adds a twist to your traditional 5K. Proceeds from this race go toward health programs at the Y that benefit cancer survivors, diabetes patients and more. We’ll see you on the course on September 17, 2022.
- The Y is all about giving back to the community. You can, too, by volunteering at some of our amazing events, or by coaching your kid’s youth sports team! Whatever you’re interested in doing to help give back to the community, we can find the right opportunity for you at the Y.
- As many of you know, the YMCA is a non-profit organization. Donations help drive what we do each and every day for our members and our neighbors. Giving back to the Y means more families can enjoy the programs and services we offer, regardless of their financial situation.
No matter what you and your family like and what new experiences you’re looking for, the Y is here to make your 2022 the best year yet.