There’s a reason we see film after film recreate the iconic prom scene in teen movies; there are few rites of passage as memorable. Counting down for your own iconic prom night? With so much to do before the big event, the process can sometimes feel a little overwhelming! Planning things out ahead of time can make your prom stress-free and effortless, allowing you to focus on the most important part—having a good time.
Here’s your all-inclusive list of everything you’ll need and when to follow through to help you have your best prom night ever!
If you haven’t taken care of these things, do so immediately!
- Start pulling inspiration for your prom style of choice. Going Old Hollywood? Glitz and Glam? Staying Classic or going trendy?
- Note any dress-code rules for your school that need following before you start shopping for attire.
- Confirm if you’ll be attending with a group of friends, a date or rocking it solo.
- Start saving a little money for prom expenses by picking up odd jobs, like tutoring, dog walking or mowing lawns.
- Purchase your Prom Tickets or make sure your date has got them covered.
- Shop for your Prom Dress, Suit or Tuxedo. Don’t forget to check out local formalwear shops like Hip Chics in Clemmons and Nitsa’s in Winston-Salem!
- If your formalwear needs a little help in fitting, schedule an alterations appointment.
- Start finding inspiration for Hair and Makeup online or in magazines.
- Book plans for transportation and any after-prom activities with friends (limousine, party bus, hotel reservation, beach rental, etc.).
1 Month Before
- Book your hair, nail and/or makeup appointments, if needed.
- Purchase or borrow any accessories or jewelry for the big night.
- Finalize all alterations for your attire.
2 Weeks Before
- Start breaking in new dress shoes you’ll be wearing, to make sure you’re ready for the dance floor
- Order your date’s corsage or boutonniere from your local florist.
- Make dinner reservations, if you’re planning on a pre-prom bite out. Fratelli’s Italian Steakhouse and Jeffrey Adams in Winston-Salem are two great options!
1 Week Before
- Start pampering yourself a little early! Get lots of sleep, take care of your skin, and drink plenty of water!
- Coordinate your plans with friends; who’s meeting, at what time and where?
- Schedule pre-prom photos with your parents, friends’ group and anyone else you want to include.
1 Day Before
- Pack your bag for any after-prom overnight or weekend plans with friends.
- Create an emergency kit of anything you may need and will want with you (e.g., garment tape, bobby pins, Tylenol, cash, etc.)
- Print out or save to your phone any inspirational images for your hair and beauty appointments.
- Attend a nail appointment or do them yourself at home or with friends.
- Get a good night’s sleep—you have some partying to do the next night!
The Big Day
- Make time to eat and drink. You need food for energy and you want to stay hydrated!
- Be sure to charge your phone and camera.
- Attend hair and makeup appointments earlier in the day.
- Get ready an hour or so before you are supposed to be ready, to make sure you have everything you need and can avoid rushing.
- Photos! A selfie or two are great, but have someone get some shots of you and your fellow prom goers that will last a lifetime.
- Remember—safety first! Look out for yourself and your friends.
- Have a blast! Don’t stress and have fun. Remember, this is your special night!