Do you ever feel like you are in the business of busyness? With many of us working from home nowadays, it’s hard to find that work-life balance, and easy to make that excuse that there is too much to do with little time to do it. With that said, here are a few ways you can switch up your daily routine and freshen up your home for the Spring season.
Switching up your Daily Routine
- Make a To Do List. For generations, that good old to-do list has been wondrous in helping individuals achieve their daily tasks, and it has become an important component in the work-life balance goal of today. Mark down your urgent tasks, then spread the remaining tasks throughout the week. The trick comes in not giving yourself too much to accomplish, as well as holding yourself accountable for not overworking by starting on tomorrow’s tasks. This also helps in reducing stress about having to constantly remind yourself about what your next step is.
- Regular Quick Clean-Ups. In between those deeper cleans, try breaking up the cleaning jobs into more manageable chunks throughout the week, to keep you from dreading the end of week massive clean-up. This is where your to-do list can come in handy, too. Dedicate each day to only one room and limit it to 10-20 minutes to keep stress levels at a minimum. In addition, you may consider cleaning the countertops, running the dishwasher, and decluttering the living room each night to wake up to a more calming morning routine.
- Reduce Social Media Time. Did you know that one study showed that the average individual spends more time on their phone and laptop than they do sleeping? Keeping that in mind, try giving yourself a screen time limit to help keep you accountable, reduce anxiety and depression, as well as free up valuable time. A few tricks of the trade include setting a time limit on your phone, writing down your to-do list instead of using an app, turning off social media notifications, turning your phone on silence during family dinners, and not using it at least an hour before going to bed.
- Incorporate Quick Daily Workouts. From walking your dog to morning stretches to short HIIT workouts, there are a variety of ways to incorporate activity into your daily routine that don’t take hours in the gym. Physical activity not only improves your muscle strength, but can also deliver proper oxygen and nutrients to your tissues to help increase heart health, give you more energy, and keep you better focused on the task at hand.
Freshen up your Home
- Add Accent Colors. Try adding bright, light shades of color to a room that you think may need a little uplifting. This can be accomplished through simple measures, like adding decorative pillows, vases, lamp shades, and wall art.
- De-Clutter. As the saying goes, if you’ve haven’t used/worn it in over a year, then you obviously don’t love it too much. We’ve all just about used the “just in case” excuse; however, it’s time to declutter and refreshen. There are plenty of measures for de-cluttering, from tidying it away in organized containers, to donating at nonprofit organization, to selling nicer pieces through consignment shops or online marketplaces.
- Add Indoor Greenery. Whether you choose a large potted plant or a small succulent, indoor plants have a variety of science-backed health benefits, from increased productivity to purifying indoor air quality. A few common indoor plants that are easy to take care of and don’t require tons of daylight include Peace Lily, Dragon Tree, and Spider Plant.
- Natural Stovetop Simmers. Our bodies are triggered to the nostalgia of homecooked meals and their aromas that drift through the house. While we may not always have time to make grandma’s slow-cooked Bolognese or your mom’s “infamous” chicken pot pie, try simmering water in a small saucepan with citrus slices and fresh herbs, like mint or lavender, to have sweet scents wafting throughout the house during the workday.
Give a few of these small, effortless tips a try to freshen up your home and daily routine to help set you up for a year of success this Spring season. And let us know your thoughts!