There’s no place like home for the holidays and while wrapped gifts beneath the tree are nice, for aging family members the most cherished gift is not the one with wrapping paper and bows. The very best gift is being in the presence of family. Inviting seniors (or anyone with a physical disability) into the home requires careful consideration and some advanced planning to ensure their safety, independence, and well-being. Thinking through potential issues and making temporary modifications can help guarantee everyone has a wonderful time… making memories to last a lifetime.
For more than 50 years, Forsyth Medical Supply has been NC’s most trusted supplier of high-quality medical supplies, assistive furniture, and equipment. The well trained and knowledgeable staff understands the unique challenges families face when seniors are brought home for the holidays and can provide recommendations to make the preparations easy and affordable. As Manager Brenna Chandler shares, “It is less stressful on the elderly (and concerned family members) if minor changes are made to the home prior to arrival time.” Her family-owned team is eager to share helpful tips and beneficial products to ensure Christmas with senior family members is stress free and extra special!
Five Tips for a Safe and Enjoyable Holiday with Seniors
- Plan Activities – Don’t let mobility issues prevent your loved one from enjoying holiday activities with the family. A lightweight wheelchair or travel friendly scooter is the perfect solution for transporting seniors so they can enjoy a Christmas play, light displays, or holiday shopping with the family. These products can be rented or purchased ahead of time.
- One “Comfy” Spot – Lift Chair Recliners can easily create a comfortable, safe place in the main area of the home for seniors to enjoy holiday traditions with the family. The power lifting system gives the ability to get up and back down without additional pain or strife with the push of a button. Lift chairs can be rented or purchased and delivered to your home before the holiday.
- Create a Safe Sleeping Environment – For homes with bedrooms on the second level, a hospital bed set up on the main level can eliminate the hazard of climbing stairs. Versatile and comfortable hospital beds are easily adjustable to accommodate every need and are equipped with modern safety features, including railings for ultimate peace of mind. Beds can be purchased or rented.
- Bathroom Safety – According to the CDC, more than 200,000 seniors are treated in emergency rooms each year for bathroom-related injuries. A few products to consider purchasing for the holidays include a toilet riser and safety rails, a shower chair, and a non-slip bath mat. Disposable personal hygiene aids such as no rinse shampoo caps and bathing wipes help eliminate the need for a daily shower, making it a convenient option for seniors.
- Be ready for accidents – Bladder leakage can be embarrassing for seniors. Having an extra pack of adult disposable briefs or underwear and absorbent pads for the bed can give peace of mind for your loved one. Forsyth Medical Supply stocks a wide variety of sizes and styles. Our knowledgeable staff can help with correct sizing to eliminate leaks.
Forsyth Medical Supply is honored to serve clients throughout Winston-Salem, Clemmons, Kernersville, Statesville, Mooresville, Mount Airy, Pilot Mountain, Oak Ridge, and Summerfield, NC. Trust them to keep you and your family safe at home with the proper medical equipment, unmatched customer service, and valued expertise. Visit the showroom at 3033 Trenwest Drive, Winston-Salem, 336-768-5512, and online at Forsythmedicalsupply.com. Hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.