Gretchen’s Treasure Chest – Children’s Clothing That’s Stylish and Affordable

Children inspire their parents to do and become many things. Parents aspire to be better people, role models and in Michele Mathias’ case, her daughter, Gretchen, a first grader at Meadowlark Elementary School, inspired her to open her business, Gretchen’s Treasure Chest, a children’s clothing boutique.

Michele Mathias was born and raised in Davie County and is now living with her husband and daughter in Lewisville. Before becoming a mom, Michele used her degree in business administration from High Point University to work within financial services and retail. But, when Gretchen came along, Michele became a stay-at-home mom, enjoying her time watching Gretchen come into her own, which included finding her inner fashionista at the age of three.

From Simple Beginnings Come Great Things

When Gretchen was in preschool at Lewisville United Methodist Church, Michele received compliments on the “fashion statements” Gretchen made each day, in outfits she picked out herself; teachers, staff and parents commented on what Gretchen was wearing.

“After two years of contemplating the idea, I started an online boutique and rented a small booth in a store in Kernersville in 2022. A year later, I decided to open my own brick and mortar boutique. After scouting out several locations, I decided Winston-Salem is the perfect area. So, in December 2023, we opened our store, Gretchen’s Treasure Chest,” said Michele.

Since the boutique bears Gretchen’s name, she approves 95% of the outfits; the other 5% are not Gretchen-approved, but Mom overruled.

“I came up with ‘Treasure Chest’ because I wanted more than just a boutique. Curating items for the store is like hunting for hidden gems, hence the name. We offer comfy, cute, trendy outfits for boys and girls, size newborn to youth 16, at affordable prices. Most of our vendors are also mom-owned businesses. The clothing is ‘small batch’ meaning the manufacturer makes fewer than 1,000 pieces per design, making them less common than the mass produced brands,” Michele commented.

Brands That Make a Difference

Michele has done her research and sells some brands that make a difference in the community.

“Some of the brands I carry are Pete + Lucy, which originated in Apex, NC; Clover Cottage, from Tennessee and Charlie’s Project, which donates an outfit for every outfit purchased and supports autistic charities. Most of the Charlie’s Project clothing is bamboo and tagless, which are wonderful for children with sensory issues. These brands are not only stylish and comfortable but durable, as well. You can pass them down to a sibling, give to a friend’s child or consign with good resale value. Several of the brands offer popular prints such as Bluey, Barbie, Minecraft and Harry Potter, to name a few. We also carry a wide selection of pretend play outfits from princesses to pirates, soft enough to play in all day,” Michele stated.

A Little More in Store

In addition to clothing, Gretchen’s Treasure Chest has bamboo crib sheets and blankets, some quilted, in various sizes; women’s leggings sizes 0-26, including Mommy & Me styles.

“There are lots of accessories such as matching purses and necklaces, handmade bibs, washable stuffed animals with removable, all-in-one stuffing, Usborne books, neverfull handbags for women and a wall full of adorable handmade bows. I have local handmade dessert candles that look and smell good enough to eat. I have all natural lip balm made in South Carolina and Lippy Clips Holders that attach to your bag. If you shop with your little ones, I have an activity area where they can play and color. I am so excited to share the brands we have with the area and hope everyone loves them as much as I do,” said Michele.

Gretchen’s Treasure Chest is located in the Harper Hill Commons Shopping Center at 4915 Old Country Club Road, Winston-Salem, NC. Hours of operation: Wednesday-Friday 10:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Hours will expand in the coming months. Follow on Facebook and Instagram for new items. For more information, call 336.306.9930, or visit


Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Stay up to date with our events and get exclusive article content right to your inbox!

Latest Stories

Other Featured Articles


All Article in Current Issue

Budget Blinds

photography by JEJ PHOTOS Budget Blinds of North

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay up to date with our events and get exclusive article content right to your inbox!