by CASEY CHEEK, alltypesofbowls.com
Hi! I’m Casey, a part-time food blogger, full-time architect, wife and dog mom. On All Types Of Bowls, you’ll find healthy inspiration for making your favorite cravings and comfort foods. I believe we should eat all our cravings, whether it’s a leafy grain bowl or a big bowl of pasta.
Whole 30 Shepherd’s Pie
(Whole 30 / Paleo / Dairy Free / Gluten Free)
Serves 4-6 | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 55 minutes
- 16 oz ground chicken
- 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ – ⅓ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup brussel sprouts, shredded
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp thyme
- ½ tbsp sage
- ½ tbsp rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until soft (about 8-10 minutes). Drain the sweet potatoes and add them back into the pot. Add in the coconut oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mash them and then stir in the almond milk. The potatoes should be smooth and creamy.
- Heat a skillet and add 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Cook the ground chicken until brown and then remove from skillet and set aside for later.
- Heat the rest of the avocado oil and add the garlic, onions, carrots, peas and shredded Brussels sprouts. Cook for 5 minutes and then add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, thyme, rosemary and sage. Cook for another 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the ground chicken back in, and stir in the tomato paste. Cook until the tomato paste turns dark red and is incorporated. Add in the chicken broth and stir. Top with the mashed sweet potatoes and use a fork to make lines across the top of the shepherd’s pie. This will make ridges and get nice and crusted.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool once done and serve with more thyme.