by CASEY CHEEK
Serves 3-4 | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
(Whole 30, No Added Sugar)
For the chicken:
- 2 cups chicken breast, diced
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 T olive oil or avocado oil
For the sauce:
- 1 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/2 T chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Serve with sesame seeds and cilantro
- Toss the chicken with the arrowroot powder, salt and garlic powder.
- Heat the oil in your pan on medium heat and add in the chicken. Cook until browned and almost completely cooked. We will cook it again in the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Add in the bell peppers and cook for 3 minutes. Lower the heat and add in 1/4 cup of chicken broth and mix. Scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan and mix.
- In a bowl, whisk the coconut aminos or soy sauce, 1/4 cup chicken broth, orange juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil, tomato paste, ginger paste, garlic, sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
- Add the sauce to the pan and mix until sauce begins to thicken. Add the chicken back into the pan and stir for another couple minutes. Sauce should be thickened by now and chicken should be cooked through.
- Serve with some rice and top with sesame seeds and cilantro.